Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Nutty Rhubarb Muffins

Hello there! Thanks for coming back!
I hope you guys are enjoying my posts so far, I know I am enjoying sharing them!

Anyway, the topic of this post is rhubarb. And I HATE rhubarb...so I thought. One of our family friends with a BEAUTIFUL garden is away until Sunday and invited me to pick from her garden so it didn't go to waste. And that I did. I came home with a handful of raspberries, a couple small onions, a BUNCH of gorgeous leaf lettuce, and a couple stalks of rhubarb, just to try!

When I got home I started to look for rhubarb recipe inspiration, and combined ideas from a few muffin recipes to create this beaut. To my surprise, I actually like them! They may need a little more sweetener...maybe a tablespoon or so of honey. Just a suggestion! But otherwise they taste like blueberry muffins with a few sour blueberries mixed in...my favorite!

Here's the recipe!

2 cups Chopped Rhubarb
1 Egg
1 cup Milk
1 t lemon/lime juice
1/2 c Canola Oil
2 t Stevia + 2 T Molasses (or 2 cups Brown Sugar)

2 1/4 c Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Oats
1 t Baking Soda
1 t Salt
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
1/4 cup Ground Flax

Mix all the dry ingredients and all the wet ingredients in separate bowls, minus the rhubarb.
Create a well in the dry ingredients and pout the wet ones in. I suggest mixing with a whisk.
*IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO NOT OVER MIX THESE MUFFINS!!
Once it is almost all mixed together, add your rhubarb and get it mixed in just enough.

The batter is almost more of a dough, so don't freak out if you think it's too sticky.
Portion into 12 full-size muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes at 350.


You should try to chop your rhubarb as finely as possible to avoid that weird celery-textured crunch. You get plenty of crunch from the walnuts! I used a hand-chopper from Pampered Chef.


Uhh..yeah I told you the "batter" looked nasty. It looks like the turkey burger I made for supper last night. I promise, it's worth it!


Finished product! They are some interesting muffins, but are a nice, savory option for breakfast. They would probably be really good warmed up with a little honey to get that extra sweetness they kinda need. 

Enjoy! And I'm always open to recipe improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment