Saturday, July 13, 2013

Confession: I'm A Bookworm

Not only is this a great place to share my book recommendations with other book-lovers, but also a great place to store my "to read" list! So, we'll start off with my recommendations...

My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands by Chelsea Handler
I have read all of Chelsea's books, and I have to say I think this was my favorite. It was an easy read because of it's structure, but it was hilarious, and so far-fetched that I never wanted to put it down.

Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
See above for my thoughts on Chelsea Handler.

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang
Ditto.

The Compound by S.A. Bodeen
This is an awesome novel about a family who is affected by a nuclear bombing in the U.S. The father has prepared for the bombing by creating a compound home underground for the family that survives to live in. Their life underground is sad, dramatic, and exclusive, and they all are affected. There is a huge plot twist that you'll just have to read to find out about. BONUS* The author originally lived about 30 miles from me in a neighboring town, and visited my school to talk about the book! How cool is that?!

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The book of which the recent movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio was based off of, The Great Gatsby is a classic. It introduces Nick, a young mid-western man who moves to NYC for a fresh start. He soon discovers his neighbor to be The Great Gatsby, who befriends Nick to help him fulfill his fantasy love. Throughout their quest there is romance, parties, drama, and death. It is a challenging read because of its age, but worth it in the end.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
The story of Henrietta Lacks, an African-American cervical cancer patient from Maryland in the 60's is told throughout this book. She was the host of what is now considered HeLa, a cell culture that was taken from her cervix during a procedure without her knowledge. HeLa has contributed to huge scientific discoveries, of which nor Henrietta or her family has gotten any glory for. The author explores civil rights and medical rights as she embarks on a journey to learn about Henrietta through her family.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
If I Stay is a narrative by a young girl who was tragically injured in a car accident which left her parents dead and her brother in a condition in which she is unaware. The girl, Mia, is in a coma and has an out-of-body experience in which she observes her family and friends grieving. Ultimately, she has to choose from this state whether to live or die. The book is a very easy, short read and never gets boring. Mia is a very unique girl with many stories to tell along the way.

Someone to Love by Addison Moore
This book is your typical, college girl romance novel. It tells the story of a college age girl who has had bad luck with relationships, and how she inadvertently trains a playboy into being a loyal lover. The story is slightly erotic at times, but always very romantic.

Now, onto my book bucket list!
I talked in my first post about stress, and how it can keep you from the body and fitness level you want. Well, books are one of my de-stressers that I plan to use A LOT in school, so I am always on the hunt for new books to add to my list. But, this is what I have so far...

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Bossypants by Tina Fey
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
This I Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowen
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
Serena by Ron Rash
The Spectacular Now By Tim Tharp
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight 

I am soooo excited to get started on my list! If anyone has read these and has thoughts on them I would love to hear them!




No comments:

Post a Comment