Monday, July 15, 2013

Heart Bracelet Pattern

One of my other favorite (of many) de-stressers is making friendship bracelets. I learned the basics at Girl Scout camp, and since then I have graduated to making some really intricate tribal looking designs, bracelets with words in them, and heart bracelets like in this post.

I like to take string with me when I babysit and teach the kids to make some simple bracelets. It keeps them busy, and I get to do something I enjoy too!

I was working on this bracelet at my last babysitting job, and the little girl fell in love with it, so now I have to finish it for her so I can surprise her with it next week!

Onto the pattern...first of all, being able to make a chevron bracelet is kind of a prereq to this pattern, so if you don't know how, I would definitely try to do that first!

The first step is to pick two colors. One for the background, and one for the heart. You'll need four 3-foot strands of the heart color, and four 3-foot strands of the background color. Tie a knot about 3 inches from the top of all the strings when they're lined up, then arrange them so on each side the strings are H-BG-H-BG. Two of the background-color strings should be in the middle.


Start with a chevron of each color.

*For the third row, tie a left-facing 4-knot with the 2nd string on the left side (BG) over the first string on the same side (H). Remember to tie twice! Repeat that on the other side, but with a right-facing knot.





It should look like this!

Next, to finish the third row, start with the outer-most H string on each side, and make a chevron.


Now, if you look closely, the pattern has reversed from the start pattern, which makes sense, because row four is the exact opposite of row three. Tie the backwards knots with the H string, and the chevron with the BG string.



Almost there! Now, for row 5, and to finish the heart, tie a complete chevron, with no backwards knots, with the two outer-most H strings.


After the H chevron, tie a BG chevron to separate the hearts from one-another.


Continue the bracelet from *row 3-6.


No comments:

Post a Comment