Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Banana Bread Protein Bars

Post one of two for the day, what a treat!

I got a recipe from the mom of some kids I babysit, who also happens to be a doctor. She went to make it and said she thought of me, so she texted it to me. And boy, am I glad she did.

These bars/bread squares are packed with energizing ingredients that give you a great jumpstart in the morning or before a workout. The bananas offer potassium, which can keep cramps away, the chia seed offers fiber and protein, along with the buckwheat flour...I could go on and on, but you can just find out for yourself. :)

I made a HUGE, tragic mistake when I made these heavenly little energy squares. I forgot one ingredient that offers some antioxidants along with some happiness...chocolate chips. I still have no idea how I forgot those, but I am very upset about it. Looks like I'm going to have to make them again soon!

Anyway, here's the recipe! And DON'T forget the chocolate chips!

2/3 cup Rolled Oats
1/2 cup Buckwheat Flour
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
1/4 cup Shredded Coconut
3 T Chia Seeds
3 T Chocolate Chips
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
2 small-medium Mashed Bananas
1/2 cup Peanut Butter of your choosing (I used JIF Natural and melted it a little to make it stir in more easily.)
1/4 cup Brown Rice Syrup OR Honey
1 t vanilla

Just mix it all together, no particular order.
Spread into an 8x8 pan, and bake for 22-26 minutes at 350.

I love these bars for breakfast, warmed up a little and topped with honey, along side some fruit!



No comments:

Post a Comment