Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning

So...funny story. I have only liked tacos for like 2 years. Before that I detested them...then I started liking them, then I started being healthy. After that, no more tacos. At least not without guilt.. ;)

Anyway, I came upon some posts on Pinterest that featured homemade taco seasoning with no MSG and wayyyyy less sodium than the packets. I mixed it up yesterday and we had chicken tacos with it tonight! Nomnomnom.. :)

The recipe is as follows...but I'm going to change it up next time. It was wayy to spicy for my wimpy tongue!

3 T chili powder (I used chipotle chili powder, and I think that's why it ended up so spicy!)
3/4 t garlic powder
3/4 t onion powder
3/4 t (or less) red pepper flakes
3/4 t dry oregano
1 1/2 t paprika
1 T + 1 1/2 t cumin
1 T salt
1 T black pepper

This makes roughly 9 T. We used between 2-3 for 1 pound of chopped chicken breast for tacos tonight.

I had about 1/3 cup of chicken on two 6 in. corn tortillas with lettuce, black bean and corn salsa, a touch of sour cream ( I needed it!), and a little shredded cheese, if you're looking for a recipe idea. :)

The seasoning can be kept at room temperature, but should definitely be in a sealed container!

Feliz Comida!

No comments:

Post a Comment