Saturday, August 17, 2013

Running of the Beef

Hi! Sorry I have been sooo slow lately! I'm a busy girl I guess!

This weekend is my town's annual festival "Beef and Dairy Days" (welcome to Wisconsin!)

The festivities began on Thursday night with the crowning of Miss Whitehall 2013, and continued yesterday with the carnival. The community kicked off B&DD Saturday with the Running of the Beef 5K.

This was my first ever race for anything, so I have really been looking forward to it! I am definitely not a strong runner though, so it was a lot harder than I expected! I have been using a C2-5K app to help me get ready for this race and next month's color dash...I still have a long way to go before I can run an entire 5K.

The route was beautiful, as most of Western Wisconsin is, but also really hilly, so that took a toll as well! I ended up finishing the race with a time of 33:33.

The best part of this weekend though is getting together with family and friends that all find roots in Whitehall. My boyfriend has a huuuuge family, and his dad along with his two brothers operate a dairy farm just outside of town. Their family is so close, and I am so grateful to have become a part of it! 



Since there are sooo many Sygullas, we decided we should probably have a uniform for the Running of the Beef so we could all find each other. However, we are dairy farm people, and since it is Beef AND Dairy days, we changed it to the Running of the Dairy for ourselves. ;) We all ordered t-shirts that said "Running of the Dairy...Herd it's Udderly Fun!" and had a cow with a very obvious and almost offensively large utter. We also each had a cow tag to pin to our shirts with our own number.

Even though I did not run well and was absolutely miserable, The Running of the Beef was a great experience, and I will definitely be joining the Sygullas and Associates next year. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment